Table Seating (open to all!)

Guiding Ginnie to the table, Alec selected a spot where her clothing would be most easily facilitated on the side facing the door. Moving a neighboring chair against a wall, he pulled out another chair for her to be seated in with enough space around her as to not disturb neighboring occupants (and be able to get up quickly if necessary).

A chair for you, Mademoiselle.

Taking the seat to her right, Alec looked up to the door in time to see Nova enter in her vintage Nirvana look and...someone...next to her.

Well, there's Nova...and...oh...my...god...is that Jan?

Keeping what could have easily been a bout of uproarious laughter down to a choking chuckle, Alec struggled to get his ageism in check.

I suppose some of us are luckier than others concerning the traditional clothing of our time. It is a good thing he's got nice legs or there'd be trouble.

Feeling immensely better about his youth, Alec reached for the bottle center table.

Wine for you?

((OOC: I will have sporadic access until Tuesday morning - please jump in and help entertain! I'll pop in and be sarcastic or socially clumsy as frequently as possible! Cheers, and Happy Halloween! Permission to staff to move me as necessary.))

Ginnie 18 years ago
Ginnie had taken it as somewhat of a blessing that she was not forced to speak to Mai. She settled herself into the offered chair, taking the time to adjust her skirts to keep them from bunching and wrinkling. She was beginning to enjoy young Alec's company and was sure that if she liked him while in this get up then she would like him as a co-worker.

"Wine for you?"

Ginnie smiled up at him. Yes, she liked him indeed.

"Yes, please."
Alec Devereaux 18 years ago
Pouring the wine with a seemingly practiced hand, Alec smoothly filled two glasses, uncertain of the preferences of their pending table-mates. Lifting his glass and nodding to Jan and Nova across the room and then to Ginnie beside him...

To family.

Taking a mouthful, he then turns his eyes back to the doors in time to catch Amberelle's entrance. Black and slinky...always appropriate. Taking the stairs with a feline grace appropriate to the mask, Alec momentarily loses himself in the flow of her body lines down the stairs, and their correspondence with the motion of the fabric and the play of shadows behind her.

Shadows...that reminded him that there was still a mystery between them, a conversation yet to be had. Of course, this was certainly not the setting to be discussing business...but seeing her black clad brought the thought more firmly into the front of his mind. Food for thought...but for another day. Tonight was for relaxation, as much as possible.

Sipping again at his wine, he turned back to Ginnie.

Some of these costumes are just incredible...I wonder how many have weathered the years? I generally feel pretty young, but tonight I feel a veritable hatchling with the press of all of these centuries around me. A pleasant reminder, I suppose.

Smirking, he asks

So...pleased with where the world is headed, or..?
Ginnie 18 years ago
"Seeing most of these, makes me wish I had kept all of my period clothing, but alas one does not make hasty retreat with trunks full of ridiculous dresses."

Ginnie thought about that for a moment. Would she truly have like wearing one of the dresses her husband had bought her over 200 hundred years after it's creation? She thought she might, but then again sentimentality was a fatal flaw in a vampire.

So...pleased with where the world is headed, or..?

"Interesting question you have there. I guess it all depends on the angle of focus. On the one side, I enjoy the freedoms I have as a woman of the twenty-first century, on another I fear for our little place called earth. Humans are destructive creatures and Mother Earth will not continue to thrive if the Human race continues on it's current collision course. So my answer is yes and no."

Ginnie sipped from her wine, it was incredibly good, light and airy, a good first course wine, and grinned at Alec.
Shay 18 years ago
Giving a bright smile and a nod to both Thaddeus and Arin, Shay focused her attention on Mathias, as they walked towards the dinner area.

She couldn't help but give a short squeal when he surprised her with a bit of a dance, along the way. She quickly covered up her surprise with a hand to her mouth, and a quick sheepish look around. She also gave him a slightly reprimanding, but loving look.

"A teensy bit more warning next time, you rake."

She loved the little stories he told her about the other guests. It was almost just like what she'd been doing in her own head, but enjoyed having him be the creative one now. Maybe once they were dancing later, she'd share a couple of her 'observations' with him.

When they neared the tables, Shay looked about for someone she knew...but again saw no one. So she looked for the next best thing - empty seats. She saw a few across from some people, and urged Mathias in that direction.

"Excuse me, but are these places taken?"

She spoke to a young woman dressed exquisitely in a very large skirted costume, and a young man in much less fussy, but very authentic looking clothing, and smiled at them both. Her hand still tucked into Mathias's own.
Ginnie 18 years ago
Ginnie smiled up at the bright young woman. She was quite lovely in her blue gown. The man on her arm was just as lovely, but then she knew him. If only in passing. She thought for a moment, but could not draw up his name. 'I really need to get out more.'

"They are now."

Ginnie offered her hand over the table, not even bothering to get up as it would take way to long to get back down.

"I'm Ginnie, this is Alec."
Shay 18 years ago
Raising a hand to stall the woman from rising, Shay instead smiled and took her proffered hand, made introductions, and took the chair across from Ginnie.

"I'm Shay, and this is Mathias...it is good to meet you both...and I must comment on both of your costumes...they're beautiful, though Ginnie, I must admit I would have never had the stamina to wear something so...cumbersome. I admire your dedication to the event...it is a striking effect."

Shay waited for Mathias to greet their two newest acquaintances, and put a hand on his thigh, once he'd sat down. It gave her an inordinate amount of ease, and pleasure, to 'feel' him...almost as if she was deriving some form of energy or sustenance from him. She hoped he didn't find her clingy...she detested clingy women.

"Are you both long time Nachton residents? Mathias and I are both fairly new to the area...though I'm finding it one of the wisest moves I've ever made in my life."

And with that she gave his leg a soft rub. She also hoped he didn't mind her including him in her statement. Was it getting too natural?
Ginnie 18 years ago
Ginnie laughed softly at Shay's comment. She could actually tell the truth this night and if Shay were human it wouldn't matter as they were all "pretending" to be vampires anyway.

"It has been over two hundred years since I've wore something this cumbersome, as you say. And except for the ivory stays poking me in the breast it's really quite comfortable."

Ginnie let her accent come out fully. It, at times, made her words almost indecipherable, but she was playing the part and a woman from the 1730's did not try to Americanize her accent. She chuckled at that a bit.

"I have been in Nachton for some time. Though Alec here is new to the city."

She smiled brightly at Alec and toasted him with her glass. She took a moment to study Shay and Mathias. She wanted very much to slip into Shay's mind a moment, just to see if she was human, but that would require altering something as well and that was impolite. She looked a bit closer and she saw the unmistakable signs of love, then again it could just be lust. 'Hmm, if she's human, he better watch himself. Humans and vampires, just don't...mix.'

"So what brings you to Nachton, Shay?"
Shay 18 years ago
Almost completely caught up in the fantasy of the evening, Ginnie's admission seemed quite normal, and Shay just grinned. She wished she could be a better actress and get into the period of her costume, but found that role playing to be too distracting from her enjoyment of the evening.

Hearing Ginnie's description of the stays, Shay shifted a bit.

"Those stays would be bad enough, I fear."

The fact that Shay was attending the ball herself, bra less, with just a wisp of a thong underneath her dress, only added to her bliss. Though wearing an underskirt and overdress allowed for nothing untoward to be seen, and just a small amount of cleavage peeked over the top of the dress. Shay had wanted to savor the night without being pinched and prodded...by other than Mathias, anyway.

"But I am glad to hear it isn't too hard to bear."

Shay also held up her glass and tipped it towards Mathias as Ginnie was doing towards Alec.

"I decided twenty seven years in California was enough...and Los Angeles had become more trouble that it was worth. I was looking for someplace that reeked of history, and Nachton seemed to fit the bill. I cannot tell you how glad I am I chose this town, as opposed to other similar ones, here in the east. Every day I feel more strongly that I was destined to come here."

Sharing that thought with Mathias, via a glance, she hoped he understood the enormity of what she was saying.
Mathias 18 years ago
" Ginnie,Alec." He extended his hand to the pair and even managed a discreet bow to Ginnie.

Mathias took her comment about age in stride, at this party it was hard to tell vampire from mortal and he only got a headache trying.

"You certainly have aged gracefully" he said to Ginnie,chuckling and giving Shay's hand a squeeze under the table. He had caught her comment about coming to Nachton and he wanted her to know he understood. More and more it seemed he and Shay were together for a reason,but Mathias chose not dwell on it - sometimes he could over think a situation.

" I must say Ginnie - the outfits you and Shay are wearing only reinforce my admiration for the opposite sex and your willingness to look beautiful for us men. I doubt I would have the endurance or patience to deal with it all. Though,and I am sure Alec will agree - we appreciate your efforts" He smiled softly at Shay,gently rubbing her hand. So many things he was beginning to appreciate about this wonderful woman,her beauty only a small part
Smiling pleasantly at the new arrivals, and accepting the greetings, Alec turned to Mathias.

Ah, I certainly do, at that. All of those lovely curves drawn alongside corresponding lines of fabric, bringing out and accentuating the total effect. Enough to drive a man to distraction.

That, and if they didn't, they might ask US to, and hell, I'm lucky to manage shoelaces half the time...I can't imagine the trouble I'd have with hidden catches behind my back and ties that had to be done with one hand. I'd probably end up lynching myself.

Noticing the Tacharan clan gathering, Alec leaned to Ginnie, and quietly said...

Simon sports some old police gear...never would have figured.
Mathias 18 years ago
Noticing the same gathering as Alec, Mathias leaned over and whispered discreetly in Shay's ear. "Some folk from Duibne are here hon, I need to go speak with them a moment" He hoped she wouldn't, there were many interesting people here and right now the less Ellis knew about Shay the better.

"Please excuse me a moment, something just came up. I will be right back." He made his way over to the knot of folk surrounding Ellis.
Shay 18 years ago
"Awww, Alec...it's really not that difficult. After you spend several years with those 'hidden catches', it becomes second nature...right Ginnie?"

Shay teased. And her next words were spoken somewhat more softly.

"And if you're lucky...sometimes you have assistance from other nimble fingers."

With her attentions momentarily on Ginnie and Alec, Shay smiled and nodded at Mathias's notice. She watched as he left and went to speak to another very striking man, who was among a group of women. One thing Shay had to say about Nachton...everyone she'd seen or met was more than attractive. Didn't anyone ugly come to Nachton?

Grinning to herself, she glanced around the room and notice Arin and Thaddeus were departing with more beautiful women. She was sorry to see them leaving already, and hoped maybe there were other rooms where people were eating...or maybe they had gone off to dance.

She hoped maybe still, that she would see Dani, or Claire, or Addison yet.
"Ah, one of ours...good to know. We seem to be out in force tonight." Nodding to Mathias as he headed to check in, Alec turned back to Shay in an effort to distract her.

California for that long, huh? I've never been in an earthquake - what're they like? I prefer my brand of disasters to be the kind of thing you can see coming...earthquakes seem pretty unfortunate to me. Hurricane - great - tons of notice. Tornadoes...not so much, but still usually ok. Flooding can suck, as can fires...but earthquakes...man, just sitting there brushing your teeth one minute and diving for cover the next. Hard for me to conceive.

Blushing a bit at her response, Alec tried to improvise as best he could.

Ah, it is probably my fault for hanging out with more of the bodice-ripper varieties...I'll have to keep that in mind. Uh...sorry. Somewhat forward, wasn't that?

"Well, you've certainly managed to provide a distraction...idiot." Trying to prevent the redness from seeping all the way up his ears, Alec took a fork full of food. Hey...damn tasty. Savoring the flavor, his pallor returned.
Shay 18 years ago
Shay had to laugh yet again.

"You would think earthquakes should be the most frightening of our natural disasters, for that very reason. And yet they pale for me, in comparison to a tornado.

I've experienced several earthquakes...the one in Northridge, back in 94 and the earlier one in Loma Prieta...Maybe it's because I've grown up with them, but they're more like nature's roller coaster...It sounds awful, I know...but I find them fun."

And Shay had always received a bad time from her mother for her reactions to earthquakes...but she couldn't help the way she felt...somethings were just exhilarating because you had no control.

"But a tornado...in the middle of the night, for instance...I can't think of anything more horrifying."
Nah...even night tornadoes aren't so bad, well, unless you get hit. But the rush...the sound of the air turning in on itself...something everyone should hear once. One of those true sounds of power...like thunder or those high yield explosives. Total rush.

Oh, another good one is fluming - where a flooded river hits a riptide and creates a geyser effect in the ocean. The sound from that is pretty awe inspiring as well.

Edging a bit forward to the table, Alec stared intently across at Shae, hoping to continue. Comparisons between natural power and artificial power were always interesting, and the conversation looked to be turning in that direction.
Shay 18 years ago
"I will admit...I could be tempted to chase a tornado. I can definitely see how exciting that would be...but at night...when you can't even see it coming?"

She shivered involuntarily at that.

"I've never heard of fluming. Though we don't get a lot of flooding in California either. Actually, that's another plus for Nachton. You have weather here! Lightning, thunder...even those things are scarce out west. I love the power of nature...I could sit and watch the wind blow for hours...knowing if it blew hard enough almost anything man made would fall in it's wake. Mother nature...she can be one huge bitch...but I love her."

Shay really did find weather extremes to be absolutely fascinating, though she rarely found anyone else who shared that opinion...at least not in her family, or circle of friends. They all thought she had a missing bolt or something.

"Where have you heard this fluming? Anywhere locally?"
I suppose it can happen any place a large enough flow of river water meets the ocean, but the added bit that that makes it spectacular is in areas with a strong undertow or riptide...the ocean current serves to amplify the river's momentum and strange things happen. That combination of sounds...that lovely wave crashing of an active ocean, the different notes of the river rushing...then the cacophony that results in their recombination...truly amazing.

Ah...I've spent a good deal of time around inclement weather growing up along the gulf coast. I guess it is just in the blood now.

Smiling, Alec sampled some of the soup...tomato soup normally wasn't his thing, but this was pretty damn good, and an excellent accent to the salad.
Ginnie 18 years ago
Ginnie sat listening to the back and forth of her dinner companions. She didn't have a big affinity for the weather. If it rained, it rained. If the weather man said take cover, she took cover. Nothing fascinating there for her. Her salad was incredibly good. So she sat contentedly working through the Vichyssoise, and listening to their conversation.
Shay 18 years ago
As the others began to eat, Shay looked back in the direction Mathias went, and hoped things were going alright for him there. She couldn't help but wonder why he hadn't asked her to accompany him. Taking ones date to meet the boss would have seemed appropriate...unless he had reasons for NOT introducing her. And would it be because he didn't want them to meet her...or her to meet them?

Or...maybe she was being paranoid, and it was because he thought she was enjoying the company of Ginnie and Alec, and he hadn't wanted to deprive her.

Or...things between them weren't as serious for Mathias, as they were for Shay.

Shay sipped the tomato basil soup, and found it delicious. She tried turning her focus back to the people at her table.

"So...Ginnie...Alec...are either of you employed in Nachton?"
Realizing that his distraction had played its course, Alec was pleased when Shay opted to continue the conversation rather than head over to Mathias. Of course, the topic could be sticky if he tipped his hand too much, but it should be fine if he stayed on purely mortal grounds.

Ah...the work question. That's a good one for me, right now. I've some plans in the making, but nothing firm at this point. I've been considering probing back into the security consultations that I used to do, but it can take months to get contacts reestablished in a new area. I've toyed with the idea...but we'll see how things play out. Not working can be fun, but I get stir crazy if I go too long without laying my hand into something.

And y'all?